Okay, first off, sorry I haven’t really posted anything in ages. I just have a lot going on at school, and obviously I have also been very busy with exploring the world of workout videos. That being said, lets get into this post.
So as you know, I am a HUGE fan of yoga. I just think it`s a great way to build muscle, get that mind-body connection, relax and continuously reach new goals when it comes to flexibility. Usually I do this by watching “Yoga with Adriene”. She is basically my guru. So usually for my work outs, I have done strength and cardio at the gym and yoga at home. However, now that I`ve got an elliptical (which I am planning to talk about in a separate post, because yay!), more and more of my workouts have been at home. And at some point I got the idea to look into different kinds of workout videos (like Victoria’s Secret inspired videos, ballet videos, etc) and I am so glad I did. So without further rambling (yes, I really could go on for longer) here is five reasons why I love this, and my favorite videos and channels.
- Most obvious: General at home comfort. I mean this has a whole undergroup of reasons. But most importantly is it that I don`t have to spend half an hour getting ready and then another half hour (at least) getting there. Because my “gym” is just a few stair steps away. Also, as embarrassing as this is to admit, I have realized that I work A LOT harder when no one can see me. I think we can all agree that the facial expressions and sounds that come with a hard workout, aren`t always of the flattering kind. So I`d rather just have an audience of my cat rather than a bunch of Barbie’s and Adonis’s, thank you very much.
- Obviously the gym is fun and has a lot of cool stuff, but it’s very easy, at least for me, to get stuck in a work out rut. And at the end of the day, its all either cardio, strength or set classes. With these videos I can do any work out I want any time I want. And the videos them self are also full of variation. As opposed to doing running on a treadmill for an hour and doing some squats in the corner.
- The fun. I get that people love Zumba classes and stuff like that. But I personally feel like what’s much more fun than going to a Zumba class every Wednesday at 4:35, is following a 20 year old Alyssa Milano work out video, then a Bollywood dance class and rounding it off with a super specific yoga video.
- The target possibilities. Of course the gym has different machines for different muscles, but not enough to make it fun or long lasting enough. Besides when you`ve targeted that on area for 20 minutes and are getting tired and cramped up, it does help to have a fun YouTube personality encouraging you.
- The learning. I am the type of person who enjoys learning about pretty much anything. And thanks to “Catherine Elizabeth” on “Psychetruth” I will forever know that my inner thigh muscles are called “adductors” and the outer “abductors”, and that makes me happy.
So as promised, here are a few of my faves.